1. True or false? Throughout your life, it is recommended your diet should be exactly the same.
2. Complete the following sentence. If the mother is ________, then it can be harmful for the baby.
Either under- or overweight
3. True or false? It is easy to get enough folate from the diet so mothers do not need supplements.
4. How many micrograms of folic acid are recommended daily for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy?
5. Why is taking a folic acid supplement important in pregnancy?
Reduces the risk of neural tube defects
Helps the baby be born a healthy weight
Avoids harmful substances being passed to the baby
Improves the IQ of the baby
6. Complete the following sentence. During pregnancy, some extra nutrients are needed (mainly in the last three months) to….
Help the development of the uterus and other tissues
Meet the needs of the growing foetus
Lay down stores of fat in the mother for lactation
All of the above
7. True or false? When pregnant, is it recommended women should be ‘eating for two’ and consuming 1000kcals/day extra.
8. On average, what will the total weight gain of a mother be over the full term?
9. Which of the following food do not need to be avoided by a pregnant mother?
Liver and liver products, such as pâté
Shark, swordfish and marlin
10. During the first six months, what other food (alongside breast milk) should be given to a baby?
Foods which follow the Eatwell guide
Non-solid foods which follow the Eatwell guide
Foods high in fat salt and sugars
None, breast milk provides all a baby needs for 6 months
11. Which of the following is found in breast milk and passed to the baby?
White blood cells
All of the above
12. True or false? Breast milk changes over time to meet the needs of a baby.
13. At what age is it recommended solid foods should be gradually introduced in addition to breast milk?
From 6 months
From 1 year
From 2 years
14. Which of the following food are safe to give to infants that are complementary feeding?
Wheat or other cereals that contain the protein gluten
Foods that contain raw or partially cooked eggs
Fruit and vegetables
Foods with added salt
15. True or false? Cows’ milk is suitable as a drink before 12 months of age.
16. At what age is it recommended children should begin consuming foods in the proportions shown in the Eatwell Guide?
0-2 years old
2-5 years old
6-11 years old
11+ years old
17. True or false? Young children have small stomachs so they need to eat small and frequent meals.
18. At what ages are supplements of vitamins A, C and D recommended for children.
Up to 6 months
6 months to 5 years
5 to 10 years
Supplements are never required for children
19. Which of the following statements about iron in adolescents is true?
Boys and girls require the same amount of iron
Boys need more iron due to them requiring more energy
Girls need more iron than boys to replace menstrual losses
Iron is not an important dietary requirement
20. Which of the following vitamins helps to absorb iron from non-meat sources?
21. True or false? Requirements for energy increase after the age of 65.
22. Why might older adults (over 65) eat less?
Their taste receptors have improved
They have difficulty in chewing and swallowing
They are often ill less frequently than younger adults
All of the above
23. True or false? A high peak bone mass will increase the risk of osteoporosis as an older adult.