1. True or false? Food preservation is a process that has only recently been used.
2. Which of the following best describe the aim of food preservation?
To increase growth of micro-organisms
To increase breakdown of food by enzymes
To prevent food spoilage
To make food ‘go off’ quicker
3. Which of the following best describe autolysis?
Self-destruction, caused by enzymes present in the food
A type of spoilage caused by the growth of bacteria, yeasts and moulds
A form of chemical contamination which causes spoilage
A form of physical contamination
4. Which of the following is the cause of microbial spoilage?
The enzymes present in the food
The growth of bacteria, yeasts and moulds
5. Which of the following is a factor that promotes enzyme and microbial activity?
All of the above
6. Which of the following would tend to increase microbial activity?
Keeping food in an airtight container
Increasing the moisture level
Placing food in an acidic or alkaline solution
7. True or false? Moulds can still grow in cold temperatures.
8. Which of the following could be described as a disadvantage of freezing?
Ice can damage the cell structure of the food
It reduces microorganism growth
It kills microorganisms
It increases food spoilage
9. True or false? Freezing kills microorganisms.
10. How does adding sugar to jam reduce food spoilage?
It reduces water availability
It increases sweetness
It means the microbes can feed on the sugar
It freezes the jam
11. How does pickling decrease food spoilage?
It increases alkalinity
It increases acidity
It decreases water content
It increases water content
12. True or false? Chilling food can preserve a food indefinitely.